Seth wrote a blog last week titled The coming melt-down in higher education (as seen by a marketer) that gave some great perspective on how a school like Oceans Edge fits into the education market.
- "Most colleges are organized to give an average education to average students."
- “College has gotten expensive far faster than wages have gone up.”
- “The correlation between a typical college degree and success is suspect.”
- “Accreditation isn't the solution, it's the problem.”
- Christian musicians and aspiring worship leaders are not average students! At a small school like OES we have the ability to adapt the curriculum and create an environment that fosters growth to each individual.
- OES costs a fraction of what a student would pay at a good university. We also provide an incredible amount of contact time with staff compared to a traditional college. Our worship leader graduates have no trouble being placed at churches. Worship ministry is a great ministry and career.
- The news is flooded with reports of college grads not finding jobs. The idea of safely majoring in business or teaching to ensure a solid job after graduation just isn’t sound anymore. This is 2010 and people/employers will pay (hire) for something extraordinary, not because you have a piece of paper. At OES we develop the gifts that God has given our students. We keep it small and pray that every student is called by God to be here for a purpose. We help them find their place in ministry. Sometimes thats a worship leader job, or as an indie artist, or something completely different. But they are more of what God created them to be when they leave us.
- “Is OES accredited?”.........I get this question alot! The answer is no and I love the insight Seth gives into the problems with accreditation. The bottom line is that it would drive our costs much higher and force us to hire less qualified (but more educated) staff. Our school would be less extraordinary....and we still wouldn’t be a college. We have a purpose. And so do they. Thats ok!
Thanks Seth! We are one of the solutions. Oceans Edge is a remarkable school. God is doing remarkable things here. For students who are called into ministry as a worship leader or performing artist, we can help them reach their goals.
Don’t get me wrong, I fully support higher education. I am an “education guy” with a masters degree to prove it! But the world has changed and the traditional college route is not the only option and certainly not a guaranteed ticket into the job market anymore.